23 October 2005

Another note on Islam

Akbar S Ahmed, in Discovering Islam, has the following quote;

"Understandably in the capitols of the West, among non-Muslims, Muslims, like the Egyptian scholar Muhammad Abduh, saw many of the Islamic virtues -- piety, cleanliness, compassion, knowledge -- 'I saw no Islam but many Muslims.' At home he despaired -- 'I saw Islam but no Muslims.'"

This is an important observation and sentiment, but I have never been sure exactly what Muhammad Abduh meant. Does anyone know?

1 Comments:

At 09 March, 2006 10:29, Blogger Elliot said...

It strikes me as meaning:
In the West he did not see the outer trappings of Islam, but he saw virtues enacted which are close the heart of Islam.

And then back home he saw the religious system in place but felt that it had not transformed its followers into true, virtuous Muslims.

But that's just my guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home