10 June 2006

The Minnesotan in me

Though a Virginian born and bred, I came to terms years ago with the fact that I was born a latent Minnesotan. This first occurred to me during the winter of 77-78 when I had moved there. On Columbus Day it started snowing so hard that native Minnesotans rushed to the windows yelling 'It's snowing!' I knew we were in trouble.

We went for period of 30 straight days where the temperature did not go above 0 degrees Farhenheit. Somewhere in late January it finally got up to 5 above. As I was walking towards Cedar-Riverside on the way to class I remember unbuttoning my jacket, an old navy pea jacket, thinking 'Gee, it's warm today.' And then it hit me. 'My God! I'm becoming one of them!'

Which is why it struck me so funny when G. K. introduced the Prairie Home Companion show in his movie by describing Minnesotans:
"We're not a beach people. We are a dark people who believe it could be worse, and are waiting for it."


I think I'll have an Effexor cocktail and reminisce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home