18 July 2006

New Competition for American auto companies

It is just a small dot on the horizon right now, but then so were the Japanese back when I bought my first car (a German Opel).

China's Nanjing Automobile Group, plans to build the MG sports car in Oklahoma. The Group has about $2 billion for the effort which should create about 500 jobs.

Remember when we laughed at funny little Toyotas and Datsuns? And then laughed at Hyundai and Kia? So let's start laughing at those crazy Chinese, thinking they can break into the largest automotive market in the world.

If that doesn't amuse you, remember how we used to laugh at Renault and Fiat?

3 Comments:

At 18 July, 2006 23:17, Blogger Joey said...

Your first examples were better than the last two.

The last Renault I saw was shocked at gambling in Casablanca and, stateside, the only Fiat I have seen is our currency ;)

--Joey

 
At 20 July, 2006 15:21, Blogger Clemens said...

The last two were filed under "Sarcasm".

I used to drive a Simca! (that Cuban guy was connected to it!)

When I went to France I saw a poor guy having to push his little Simca out of the middle of the street. It was even the same color as mine. I had so much empathy for him I helped him get it out of the way.

 
At 20 July, 2006 22:49, Blogger Joey said...

I actually knew it was sarcasm (well 99% sure) I justed wanted to unload that gem ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home