17 November 2006

Kay-Lo at NRO v an angry Brit (now American)

Kathryn-Jean Lopez, a conservative columnist and a contributor to Nat'l Rev's blog The Corner, has gone nuts. Or, perhaps, she always was. Any way, Andrew Sullivan takes her apart on one of her nuttier contributions here. He has all the appropriate links to follow her back to the original post. I remember when she came out with it - at the time I thought it was her general melt down over Rick Santorum's defeat, an event she had confidently predicted would never happen.

She then promptly redeemed herself by predicting that Santorum would make a great Secretary of Defense once Bush got rid of Rummy.

[any spelling mistakes herein are not spelling mistakes. They are the result of my adopting Canadian spellings for all words I can't remember how to spell]

3 Comments:

At 20 November, 2006 08:39, Blogger kipwatson said...

Andrew Sullivan. He calls himself a Catholic, but he's all 'snicker snicker' when about someone who holds a similar opinion on the subject to that of the Catholic Church.

'...oh and did I mention my book...?'

Yeah, you're not an a-hole, Andrew.

...and I'm a Dutchman.

 
At 20 November, 2006 12:17, Blogger Clemens said...

Oh I quite like Andrew. He's Catholic alright, and genuinely a conservative - which at least over here does not always mean a Republican or any other party. He usually makes a lot of sense too.

As for Kathryn-Jean Lopez, she is becoming unhinged, IMO. Aside from thinking Santorum had a shot at Sec of Defense, she seems more than a bit out of touch. To think that all forms of contraception are demeaning to women is a personal opinion, even if backed by the Catholic Church (and I have personally heard Catholic priests say something different). But to think that it is a commonly held opinion, even among Catholics, is more than a bit delusional. It is notorious that in the US the rate of contraception by Catholics and non-Catholics is almost exactly the same. The teaching of the Church doesn't have much impact on this one issue at least.

BTW, did I mention that Sullivan has written a book?

Hmm. You could be Dutch. Maybe.

 
At 21 November, 2006 20:59, Blogger kipwatson said...

No, Sorry, the book reference was in Andrew's silly original post.

Look, I don't share some Christians' outrage at mainstream attitudes to sex, but that's my problem, not theirs. I'm just too jaded and wordly.

But I'm glad there are passionate moralisers out there, and I would certainly defend them from the sort of fatuous criticism of the likes of Andrew 'I-can-dish-it-out-but-I-can't-take-it' Sullivan.

Oh, and did I mention I my (non-existent) book... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home