27 December 2006

What I did for Christmas

Mostly, I ate. It has become a Clemens family tradition. First, a big brunch over at Carmen's family. Then home for a quick nap. Then a midafternoon dinner at my sister's house with the whole family. Then home for a longer nap. Then a late supper at Carmen's family once again, this time the Cuban traditional pork with black beans and rice.

At each place we distributed and received gifts. I got two bottles of cognac - very nice ones. I alos got a copy of Andrew Sullivan's The Conservative Soul which I will start reading soon. The obligatory, but much needed clothes, and some edible goodies and a gift certificate to 'Total Wine.' There seems to be a theme here. No pens or inks. I guess they're trying to get me to break the habit.

But now I have lots to read. Last night I finished Olympos by Dan Simmons, which was a good read. Then I picked up Sword of the Lictor - read the first page and realized that as good as Olympus was I was dealing here with a genius of a different order. I also am reading selections from Bernard Lewis' From Babel to Dragomans.

My sister-in-law read some of my posts here, especially the one where I mispelled Mormons and said "And this guy has a PhD?!!" What can I say - it's a genetic condition. And I am the best speller in my family!

3 Comments:

At 28 December, 2006 11:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the first page of Sword of the Lictor, anyways... Is it "It was in my hair, Severian, so I went down to wash it, and that's where I heard them talking about you."

Something like that...

 
At 28 December, 2006 12:14, Blogger Joey said...

That is what I call a supportive family.

"Clemens you really need to knock it off with the fountain pens...here is booze"

--Joey

 
At 28 December, 2006 13:00, Blogger Clemens said...

"It was in my hari, Severian," Dorcas said. "So I stood under the waterfall in the hot stone room."

Pretty good memory, Elliot!

Joey- they must have figured it was the cheaper, and less pretentious, of the two addictions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home