03 March 2007

The New Computer!

Maybe I am not a complete luddite after all. I only needed one visit by Clovis the computer genius and one call to tech support to get everything working properly.

Three weeks ago I bought a Dell Inspiron I640 over the Internet. It's loaded with Windows VISTA home premium, an Intel Core2 processor, and a whole bunch of memory. I am not entirely sure what all that means, and not yet sure I really like VISTA, but we'll see.

A week later Clovis helped me figure out how to operate it. One week after that I got around to ordering DSL service through my phone company, and a week after that I finally worked up the nerve to unpack all the little gizmos they sent me and even to hook them up. It didn't work.

Finally this afternoon I decided to bite the bullet and deal with tech support (and you know how I feel about tech support). Had to wait 25 minutes, but once I spoke to a real person it took him about two questions to figure out what I was doing wrong. It was along the line of not plugging the gizmo in properly, but I insist it was due to poorly drawn instructions.

So I am up and running, and making this post just to play with the new equipment. It is so much fun to type with, and even my eight year old version of WordPerfect looks beautiful. This will be so much faster that I may start blogging more.

Next step: AOL gets the boot!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 03 March, 2007 23:49, Blogger Joey said...

Congrats but may I suggest Open Office as a replacement for Word Perfect?

--Joey

 
At 04 March, 2007 20:12, Blogger Clemens said...

Replace WordPerfec???

That's like asking me to give up English!

Of course, I am not sure what open office IS, or what it could do for me. I need something that does footnotes, endnotes, etc, and is compatable with 95% of the computers in the academic publishing world. AND my university is pushing EndNote, a wonderfully powerful citation/bibliography tool...
... that only works on WORD. (no unfair monopolistic practices here!)

But, I'll check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home