11 February 2008

The Squeezed Middle Class

Here is confirmation of something I think every time I stand out on King Street watching a steady stream of $35-50,000 SUVs, BMWs, Lexuses, etc., pass by, usually splashing mud on me, while I wait to get across the street to the Beanstalk Coffee Shop.

The Middle Class in America is doing just fine. Despite all the talk you hear about it being squeezed and sliding down the economic slope, this is an optical illusion of the emotions brought on by having so many things we just have to have. We don't, actually.

And now I find this confirmed by the great economist Drew Carey (yes, that Drew Carey). Don't believe me? Watch this.

There is even a Biblical quote from Jesus spoken by the hard edged economist (the real one) featured in the clip.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 13 February, 2008 01:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew Carey's series for Reason.tv has been excellent so far. While decidedly libertarian, (I think) it doesn't come across particularly ideological.

--Joey

 
At 13 February, 2008 12:14, Blogger Clemens said...

I'll have to start watching more.

btw, it seems that Tia Carmen and I are coming to Sevilla soon, via Lisboa. Ole.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home