20 May 2008

"Sine Mora, hac in hora"

A line from 'O Fortuna' in Carmina Burana. Without Mora (Delay), in this very hour. A motto to help fight what Mora personifies, procrastination. My plan has always been to make it work for me: without creative procrastination I would get absolutely nothing done. Now someone has put the plan into writing. And I have to admit, this quote from the article has a certain resonance:

In the evening, faced with papers to grade, lectures to prepare, committee work to be done, I would leave our cottage next to the dorm and go over to the lounge and play ping-pong with the residents, or talk over things with them in their rooms, or just sit there and read the paper. I got a reputation for being a terrific Resident Fellow, and one of the rare profs on campus who spent time with undergraduates and got to know them. What a set up: play ping pong as a way of not doing more important things, and get a reputation as Mr. Chips.


Ah yes - but I must go off to fight with Mora some more .

Sort of like Sir Galahad in Monty Python and the Holy Grail: I can handle her.


.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home