29 July 2008

Faces in time

This morning when I came into the office I picked up a copy of Watchmen by Alan Moore, loaned to me, no, forced upon me, by the department lunatic with whom I have altogether too much in common. One of which is a love of comics, and Watchmen is one of the best, illustrated by Dave Gibbons. Not quite ready to get back to the Order of the Templars article I am finishing up ONE MORE TIME* I opened it and my eyes fell upon a paragraph that struck a chord.
Moe Vernon was a man around fifty-five or so, and he had one of those old New York faces that you don't see anymore. It's funny, but certain faces seem to go in and out of style. You look at old photographs and everybody has a certain look to them, almost as if they're related. Look at the pictures from ten years later and you can see that there's a new kind of face starting to predominate, and that the old faces are fading away and vanishing, never to be seen again.

True, with one exception: every time I look at old photos of Civil War soldiers I see relatives of mine. Perhaps we got stuck in the 1860s somehow.

It would explain a lot.



*it came back to me a few months ago for some updates on bibliography. Me being me, I did some more research and started rewriting one important part.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home