23 October 2005

And one more note on Islam: The Mosque

When I was at Franklin Sherman elementary school in McLean in the early 60's, my sixth grade class went into Washington for a field trip. One of the places we went was the Mosque that had been built for the personnel of Muslim embassy workers and as a show case for Islam in the New World. It was a fascinating trip for a 12 year old, and I can remember parts of it clearly: the fountain in the inner courtyard, the young North Africans by the fountain that one of the teachers spoke to in French, and the guide telling us in clear but limping English the basics about Islam. I have been back to the mosque several times over the years. Each time, though I only stand and watch as a tourist, I have been touched by a sense of quiet serenity enhanced by both the worshippers and the architecture. It has always been a restful, even spiritual feeling.

Except for the last time. I went with my lady of the time, and though she covered herself as advised she received some hard stares. She took it as hostility, and from her perhaps I picked up that same feeling. It was disturbing: a place I had found contemplation and serenity gone hard and icy. To this day I do not know if there really was a change, or we were simply being too sensitive to a place we did not really understand.

I will go back soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home