12 March 2006

Blogging from an undisclosed location

Although my wife and I are both still sick, we decided to pack the Lummox up and drive down to an unnamed port city* far to the south of us for my nephew's wedding. We survived the trip, though it took a lot out of us. Got into town just in time to rush to the island beach where the wedding was to be. Nephew, the shyest man I know, was nervous but got through it. My sister married them in a ceremony that lasted 5 minutes! Then we went to the picnic pavillion for 'the feast'. I thought they were joking, but the bride's mother is a caterer and did the cooking herself. It was great.

My family has become very multicultural over the years. When I grew up in the hills of Virginia the only ethnic divisions I was aware of was 'white' and'black', and everyone had pretty much the same accent and the same religion: Protestant Christian. As Episcopalians we were considered a bit exotic. Now at this wedding I came with my Cuban wife, our Vietnamese relatives were all there, along with the bride's Filipino relatives, and Nephew, who is half Vietnamese. This is American now, and in the future.

I must say, the food at our parties has distinctly improved. So has the conversation.

*unnamed lest I vent unfairly about it and offend my lady.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home