16 September 2006

Summer Reading III - July

July

8. The Stars in their Courses by Shelby Foote (audio book). A wonderful telling of the story of the battle of Gettysburg by a master novelist. As you might expect, sharp, incisive portraits of character are the best aspect of this work, though the old fashioned research is impeccable. Mine is the recorded version read by the author. I highly recommend it simply on the strength of Foote’s wonderful speaking voice and way with a story. For non-American readers of the Anglosphere who want to get a feel for the varieties of ‘Southern’ American accents beyond what they have heard in bad movies or from bad politicians, this is perfect. Great research, exceptional writing, superb narration.

9. Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. I’m glad I listened to the recorded version of this but am not quite sure why it is considered the classic that it clearly is (just check out the readers’ comments on Amazon). I found every single character in it unbelievable. They simply did not strike me as human beings, at least none I have known. One 25 year old writing on Amazon said that as a soi-disant ‘gifted person’ he could relate to Ender. I could not. Not gifted enough I suspect. Another called it a generation Y and to some extent a generation X book. Perhaps that is why I failed to be moved by it, though the repellent society, undeveloped characters, and redundant and invariable victories for Ender may have something to do with it. One reader thought it had ‘a very important message.’ Like what? Don’t wipe out alien species that have given you every reason to think they want to destroy the human race? Empathize with your enemies? Don’t abuse eight year olds until they turn into Genghis Khan? At any rate, I did not really like this story, even though part of it takes place not far from where I write this evening.
Extra note: one reader on Amazon called it the Starship Troopers for the Information Age. I might agree, but the Information Age suffers by the comparison.

10. The Fall of Rome by Peter Heather. If I were to pick my favorite book from the summer this would be it. Heather is a scholar of the barbarian peoples, particularly the Goths, who were traditionally implicated in the ‘fall’ of the Roman Empire. In the last thirty years or so the impact of the barbarians has been downplayed while internal weaknesses of Roman society have been played up. Others have so stressed the continuity of the new ‘barbarian’ kingdoms with the Roman Empire that it seems that the Romans simply left the empire to the barbarians as caretakers while they moved on to other business, like communing with God. Heather believes otherwise and marshals all the written and archaeological evidence to lay out a new, though retro, narrative of the collapse of Roman power. He believes that around AD 400 the Roman Empire, though having suffered some rough blows, was essentially sound until the 406 invasion across the frozen Rhine by a mixed horde of Vandals and Alans cut all the way through to Spain. From that point on it was a life or death struggle that was over by 470. It’s a great story and Heather tells it well, despite some lapses into modern British argot. Against all expectations, it is also sometimes funny.

11. Les origines Franques by Stephane Le Bec. A good introduction to the Frankish settlement into northern Gaul and the Merovingian and Carolingian dynasties by one of France’s leading medievalists. I spent all summer on this mainly because, though her French is much clearer than that of many Francophone scholars these days, I wrote out a word for word translation. I don’t often do this with French work, but as a good synthesis of recent French scholarship on the subject, I thought it was important. Besides, it’s a good way to practice my French.

3 Comments:

At 16 September, 2006 23:33, Blogger Joey said...

I read Ender's game back in High School and can honestly say it was the best required reading book.

However that is not saying a whole lot:

1.) Summer of my German Soldier -- are you f-ing kidding me? However it did have a funny exchange(unintentional?) This girl was "dating" a German POW in the US. Her friend told her that (paraphrased)

>>"That is as bad as dating a Negro"
>>"It is not" I said, appalled by
>> the comparison

2.) Ethan Frome -- I wanted to slit my wrists three chapters in
3.) The Great Gatsby -- I actually liked the book but we saw the movie with Robert Redford shortly thereafter and it made me realize that Starwars has better dialogue and lowered my opinion of the book
4.) Frankenstein -- like your take on Ender's game, highly overrated
5.) The Scarlett Letter -- the only book I cliff noted instead of reading

I think what struck me about Ender's game was that while the situation was not "believeable" but it was something I could sympathize with. I'll be vague on the ending for those who have not read it. Everyone realized what was necessary, but no one could do it.

Looking back on the book Card's ideas about citizen commentary were quite prophetic--Peter became a blogger.

I should reread it.

You should breakdown and give the Da Vinci code a read. I am halfway through Thomas Friedman's book, "The World is Flat" which is very good

--Joey

 
At 17 September, 2006 14:21, Blogger Clemens said...

Good point about Ender that I should have mentioned. When Ender's brother and sister decide (at what, 9 and 11 yrs old) to take over the world, they do it by becoming bloggers! A nice prophetic touch.

But also cautionary. Blogistan is totally controlled by the government in the novel, which is well aware of who they actually are. There will always be the impulse to control the Net, either by intrusive gov't a la the Republicans (of all people) or by business a la the Republicans (or Democrats when they finally get back into power). There are a great many highly intelligent people working night and day trying to figure out how to make money off controlling the Net.

Caveat lector!

And: I quite like Tom Friedman, esp on TV. But I may give the Da Vinci code a pass. I heard the movie was awful. And besides, friends have loaned me 'Illium' and 'The Historian' to read - and both are BIG books.

 
At 19 September, 2006 22:45, Blogger Joey said...

The movie was not awful, it just wasn't good. The material doesn't translate well to film, but I read the book in three days (I just stretched it out it can be a one sitting read)

--Joey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home