07 January 2007

I am retreating

Tomorrow morning bright and early (ie by the crack of noon) I take off for the Holy Cross Abbey of Berryville, Virginia. There I will spend four days in the monastic guest house, pretty much on my own. I plan on walking a lot, writing in my journal, translating one or two gospels from the Vulgate, and reading a little bit of a Gene Wolfe novel. I intend for it to be a time of washing everything about my job as a teacher and quasi administrator out of my mind. When I come back on the following Monday, after spending the weekend in Washington, I intend to immediately get started on my new research projects.

While at the monastery I will be away from phones, fax, computers, and TVs. So I will not be posting until next Monday.

Hope everyone is having a good time.

[Jack- I like your last post and will respond when I return]

3 Comments:

At 08 January, 2007 12:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you have a very good time. I'm envious.

 
At 14 January, 2007 21:08, Blogger Joey said...

I assume you are back by now or did you enjoy the whole trappist thing so much you decided to stay?

--Joey

 
At 15 January, 2007 22:59, Blogger Clemens said...

Yep I'm back. Life among the monks was a lot of fun, and one more day or two would have been great. Then it would have gotten very old very fast. I just got in this evening (Monday - MLK day) after spending a few nights in Washington. I'll write about the trip on the blog, although Oscar will probably write about some of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home