10 June 2007

The Romney Reading List

Tagg Romney, Mitt's son, has his own MySpace page. Among other things, he lists his favorite books. Here it is:

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, Theodore Rex, The Bible, The Hobbit, Lincoln, The Victome de Bragelonne, Battlefield Earth, Dragon Flight, Dune, Book of Mormon, Tale of Two Cities, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Screwtape Letters, Les Miserables, Harry Potter (my guilty pleasure), Pride and Prejudice, A Farewell to Arms, Ender's Game, Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.

I applaud the interest in history, Harry Potter, Hemingway and Lewis, but what is it with Mormons and Ender's Game? Is there some Mormon mentalité to it that I don't get?

And his and his dad's delight in Battlefield Earth? Does Scientology and Mormonism share something?* Or is it just the Romney family?

Just curious.

*they probably do, but I DON'T want to get into that!


.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 10 June, 2007 14:14, Blogger jack perry said...

Have you ever read Ender's Game? It's a very good book as far as sci-fi is concerned.

I'm appalled that the guy could not name one book by Dostoekvsky as among his favorites. And anyone who reads the overly romantic (philosophically as well as plottily) Les Miserables should be forced to read its latter-day antidote, Oriana Fallaci's Insciallah (probably "Inshallah" in English).

 
At 11 June, 2007 00:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he read Ender's game and was not so impressed with it.

Something about that book did kind of speak to me when I read it (the only summer reading that I tore through) but then again that was almost 10 years ago.

--Joey

 
At 13 June, 2007 17:37, Blogger Clemens said...

Joey is right: I read it and didn't much like it. I have trouble seeing why it is a classic, though I accept that it is, since such status is based on the reactions of most readers, not, alas, on Clemen's judgement.

I am also intrigued by what was peculiarly "Mormon" in "Ender's Game". Elsewhere I have posted that Card himself says that Mormonism pervades most of his writing. I just wonder what it is, exactly?

OTOH, can ANYBODY explain the appeal of "Battlefield Earth," book or movie?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home