13 July 2007

Thomas Sowell and what's good for the country

A few days ago I wrote off the top of my head in a response to something Jack wrote that Thomas Sowell had said the US needed a military coup. I'd vaguely remembered reading him on NRO to that effect. Here's a description of what he said on Hannity and Colmes regarding his column, and a reference to the column itself found on News Hounds.

I’m not sure if the interview with Sowell was a rerun of a segment I previously missed or had been pre-taped for airing on Memorial Day (the show seemed to be comprised of a mixture of both). During his portion of the interview, Alan Colmes questioned Sowell about a recent National Review column in which he wrote, “When I see the worsening degeneracy in our politicians, our media, our educators, and our intelligentsia, I can’t help wondering if the day may yet come when the only thing that can save this country is a military coup.”


That's pretty much what I remembered, although you will note that he is not, quite, advocating such a move. Nor saying that it would be a good thing. Just that it might be the only thing that could save our country. Personally, I am not sure you could accurately speak of 'our country' after such a coup, but that may just be me.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 14 July, 2007 02:09, Blogger jack perry said...

What I've always found great about Hannity & Colmes is that on a network that is supposedly conservative, Alan Colmes stands head and shoulders above Sean Hannity. I'd ordinarily place myself in Hannity's camp, but when I watch them I find myself rolling my eyes at Hannity and nodding my head with Colmes. He's smart, calm, and decent. I wish there were more people like him involved in public policy debates.

I haven't watched the show in a while, so maybe it isn't like that anymore, but from the sound of it Colmes would have made me roll my eyes at Sowell, too.

Thanks for the reference btw. Wow.

 
At 14 July, 2007 12:01, Blogger Clemens said...

I've never had a chance to watch Hannity and Colmes and had gotten the impression that Colmes was set up as a straw man for Hannity to run roughshod over. Thanks for your take on the show.

Like you it is the 'smart, calm, and decent' I look for and too often fail to find. If there were a third party for the 'Smart & Decent' they'd get my vote - no matter what political philosophy they followed. Though I think I would go for Technocratic Pragmatism myself.

And what was Sowell thinking?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home