07 March 2008

Ooops. My ethnic group is showing

Quick!

Name a Scotch-Irish food. Name a Scotch-Irish holiday. In fact, name anyone who IS Scotch-Irish. Can't do it?

Well, neither can I, and I am one, at least so far as family lore goes.

And now, I am embarrassed to say, we seem to represent some kind of weird mountaineer block vote ... for Hillary Clinton. No, I didn't believe it either. Therefore it must not be true.

Though personally I am now paying a lot more attention to my grandfather's claim that my grandmother's clan was actually Hungarian gypsy.

2 Comments:

At 07 March, 2008 22:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scots-Irish food in Northern Ireland = deep fried Mars bars (no, not kidding). In Appalachian = possum. They are by tradition Presbyterians, no no holidays or celebrations, not even wakes. As for famous people, Jed Clampet!

 
At 07 March, 2008 23:11, Blogger Scott said...

Yes - and Andrew Jackson and god knows who else. Well, we have fought most of America's wars.

Anyway, we are off to Spain via Portugal. That other great branch of the Celtic fringe. Hope you Maeraed, Mr Miggs, et al enjoy the break. Sorry we won't be there for the St Pat's day celebration, though you can tell Ms M. that I will miss her.

(Actually, Jed looked a bit like some of my relatives - I'll show you the picture)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home