29 May 2008

A possible solution to the gas crisis?

This little video about Tysons Corner in Northern Virginia, my homeland, is the most encouraging news I've read for a long time about American urban planning. It is a necessary part of any long term solution to the energy crisis. Instead of fearing and resisting such developments one should remember how vibrant and livable Manhattan can be (note: I didn't say cheap).

And I can still remember vividly when Tysons was nothing but open farm land. Those days are gone with the wind, I am afraid.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 29 May, 2008 09:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a sneak peek at what is going to happen all over the country (maybe not quite on that scale).

--Joey

 
At 29 May, 2008 20:07, Blogger Clemens said...

The urban landscape after WWII was sculpted by the personal automobile and cheap gas. I can remember once I began driving that I saw gas as low as 12 cents/gal. I never gave any thought to where I was driving or how often.

The urban sprawl from Washington DC across all of Northern Virginia, all the way to West Va. in fact, is simply nuts - and ugly as all get out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home