31 August 2008

Palin - the GOP's VP

It is rare that I am nonplussed by a political development - infuriated or amused maybe, but not often speechless. Have to admit the selection of Sarah Palin for VP by John McCain left me saying ... HUH? Even now I am not sure how this will cut with the public, but it sure looks like a mistake. Carmen is a bit more ....uh... direct. As Cubans sometimes are.

FWIW: here is a link to a blog called Fabius Maximus*. Though it is liberal, I found it on Instapundit, which I believe leans conservative. Its chief virtue is that it amasses some straightforward facts about Palin's career with some links. Whatever your perspective then I think this site is a good place to start for material about the governor.

Since I know very little about Alaska, except for the obvious fact that it was settled by Russians, complete with Orthodox churches**, I was delighted to find an Alaskan blog written by an Obama supporter who is a bit acerbic, shall we say, about McCain's choice. Still, it's a voice from Alaska and worth taking a look at. I assume there are lots of pro-Palin blogs out there by people who know her.

Or you can just cut to the chase and go over to National Review Online for totally uncritical acceptance of this candidate. And, a bit surprisingly, some brutally honest critiques of the choice.

Later I'll talk about some Alaskans I have known.


*I'm a sucker for Latin titles and names. oh. you noticed.
** we have just hired an expert on the Russian fur trade in the Bering Strait. Knows all about this stuff. I will call him Dr Ryan.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 01 September, 2008 02:06, Blogger Joey said...

I think it is hard to argue that the GOP #2 has much less experience than the Dems #1.

Obama's foreign policy experience consists of a trip to Berlin Paris and London along with a "lifetime of living overseas" when he was 5. Hmm...

I guess having been to 20% of the world (a facebook application calculated it), learning bits of various languages, and living in Spain for 2 months while an adult compares favorably to Obama's credentials. If only I were 35 and a Democrat, I would give him a run for his money.

Palin may not be ready for the #1 spot right now but neither is Barack and unless McCain pulls a William Henry Harrison, almost however long her stint as VP lasts it would make her more qualified than Obama.

It is still very early but from what I have read there is a lot to like about Sarah (besides, as Craig Ferguson put it, that naughty librarian vibe she has going). She has led a reform campaign against her own party, fishes, hunts, and eats moose burger.

You think Obama/Biden will be tackling issues like earmark reform?

This girl has spunk. I LOVE spunk.

--Joey

PS yeah I know I need to update the blog, its coming...

 
At 01 September, 2008 08:08, Blogger Clemens said...

As for your first point: no it isn't. Seven yrs in state legislature, 2 yrs in Senate and management of a campaign that beat the big bad Clinton's versus - mayor of Wasilla and 2 yrs as gov of 600,000 people?

When even a few folks at Nat'l Review clearly express doubts you have to wonder. Yes, there is some good stuff about Palin - she has immediately won over the Evangelicals and brought in about $7 million within the first 24 hrs. BUT ... there are some odd things about her, and the writers of "Northern Exposure" underestimated the weirdness of Alaskans.

The problem is: we just don't know, and neither did John McCain. If she was vetted properly, no one in Alaska knows about it, not even the Republicans. Might be a brilliant choice - or not. (And pointing out Obama's lack of experience does not turn this into a good choice).

 
At 01 September, 2008 10:01, Blogger Joey said...

Obama's inexperience doesn't make her a good candidate, I am just saying anyone who thinks he is qualified to be president on 1/20 and she isn't qualified to be vice president on 1/20 just makes me scratch my head.

Palin has accomplished more in her two years as governor than he has in his four years of being in the senate (although, really 2 of the 4 has been spent campaigning).
Putting in time doesn't equal experience getting results does. Obama could have taken on corruption (I believe that Chicago may have a little of it) but he didn't. He could have cast a vote that said the General Betray us ad was reprehensible and given back the moveon.org money, but he didn't.

DC needs a shake up and not a rubber stamp for Pelosi and Reed.

McCain's campaign needed something to energize it. The 7 houses confusion, the Dem convention, and the zeitgeist were all working against him. This did it.

Sure it's possible that she may be a complete disaster. If she folds in the debate with Biden I think that hurts McCain. On the other hand, if she hold her own this issue goes away.

--Joey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home