04 October 2008

Conservatives

In the comments to that last post Jack and I were talking about whether or not the two Bushes were true conservatives. I made the observation that a great deal of the rightish political apparatus (pundits, public intellectuals (they aren't the same!), politicos, entertainers, etc) had signed off one way or another on almost everything W had done, at least until 2006. As soon as I finished writing that I turned to Andrew Sullivan and found this under the title "What Bruce Bartlett said years ago:"

But Grover Norquist takes until now to say it:

“Perhaps Mr. Bush has, on behalf of the modern Republican party, raised the white flag in surrender to bigger government.”

Too late, Grover. Far too late. And Bartlett was ostracized for telling the truth.

That's about what I had in mind.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home