07 December 2008

And another thing about the Kindle...

I just noticed that a reader of the article I linked to in the last post left some interesting comments about the unique advantage of a Kindle. I used one once borrowed from a friend and pretty much agree.

The beauty of Kindle is that we are finally getting traction on a mobile, updatable device that is a good environment for serious readers and therefore a good environment for newspapers, whose customers have always been serious readers.

The attention-deficit-disorder environment of a Web site (and the iPhone) is not a good environment for serious readers and text-heavy newspaper content. (See Nicholas Carr’s Atlantic magazine cover for July/August.)*

That’s the reason, I suspect, people don’t spend as much time on newspaper Web sites as they do with the print product. Heavy reading in that environment is just not as enjoyable as it is in print.

I wouldn't mind getting one for Christmas ...

but it's too expensive for me to ask anyone for this season. And I am too cheap to keep paying for the books!

* but don't most people skim through mags and rags anyway?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home