21 February 2009

Salam Pax is back

Salam was the first of the Iraqi bloggers. All during the war he blogged in excellent English while keeping his real identity secret. He became famous, and then quit blogging for a try at journalism (IIRC). Now he is back, with a rather upbeat view of life in modern Iraq, in a new Salam Pax blog. It is worth checking out. Here's a small taste of one of his longer posts:

After an illness you don’t recover just like that.. your health comes back in stages and Iraq has been very ill for a long time. We are seeing the first signs of recovery with the improved security situation and I believe all Iraqis can be a little bit patient as long as the positive signs continue.

We’ll keep paying the power generator guy his monthly fees for a bit longer.. I just hope the government doesn’t take too long to get things back up and running.. summer with it’s 50 degrees heat is just a couple of months away.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 25 February, 2009 19:20, Blogger Elliot said...

So, on an unrelated note, would you be interested in my paper on Waldensianism once I've revised it?

Of course, it's not like a prof has a shortage of papers to read! I wouldn't expect any sort of comments/critiques - I just wanted to show you that I did indeed heed your advice to study some medieval history.

 
At 25 February, 2009 19:22, Blogger Elliot said...

PS: I've also realized that, barring any sudden increase in my language abilities, I probably should avoid medieval history as a career choice. It seems like you need to know Latin, French, and German AT THE VERY LEAST!

I've been quite impressed with some of the authors we've been reading - Jacques LeGoff & Malcolm Lambert are two I plan on reading more of in my spare time.

 
At 27 February, 2009 18:12, Blogger Clemens said...

Sure - a paper on the Waldensians would be perfect for my class next semester. I think you have my e-mail address so just send it on. I'll be looking forward to it.

And I remember the first time I read LeGoff and Lambert - great stuff. What I really wanted to go into was Central Asian studies, but I was having so much trouble with Latin and German I figured Russian, Persian, Chinese and Mongolian really were beyond my range.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home