28 May 2009

Right and Left - it's how you feel

Nicolas Kristoff has an odd little column on the mental peculiarities of people who strongly identify as 'Liberal' or 'Conservative' in politics. It seems there are some basic personality traits for both types. I am not yet sure what I think of this, but it is interesting.

Studies suggest that conservatives are more often distressed by actions that seem disrespectful of authority, such as slapping Dad. Liberals don’t worry as long as Dad has given permission.

Likewise, conservatives are more likely than liberals to sense contamination or perceive disgust. People who would be disgusted to find that they had accidentally sipped from an acquaintance’s drink are more likely to identify as conservatives.

The upshot is that liberals and conservatives don’t just think differently, they also feel differently. This may even be a result, in part, of divergent neural responses.

I actually display some elements of the conservative type, yet most conservatives find me too left wing, in a wishy-washy sort of way. My ailing colleague Trotsky thinks I am an anarchist at heart. So I would be an anarchist who respects authority. I see myself sort of floating around not so much in the middle but at the margins of both. Very much the way I am about handedness. I am a lefty who does many things right handed without giving it any thought.

though there was that unfortunate incident with the iron designed for right handers the first time I ever attempted to iron my own clothes. Stupid iron.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 30 May, 2009 07:51, Blogger jack perry said...

As usually happens with such studies, I don't get it.

As someone with a "conservative" personality, I do find certain aspects of sexual behavior (say) disgusting. I won't go into the details, but do, indeed, disgust me.

On the other hand, I don't mind at all when my daughter smacks me, as long as we're playing around. I do have a strong authoritarian streak, so my kids are aware who the bosses are in the family, and which boss is less tolerant of misbehavior than the other.

Likewise, the vegetarians I've known are generally of a liberal bent, and are "disgusted" by the behavior of man towards animals. I happen to agree with a lot of what they say—I just can't extrapolate from that to the position that eating meat bought from the store is inherently immoral.

This reminds me of a psychologist's recent online article suggesting that conservatives are the way they are because they have a stronger sense of "purity". Not, say, because any of us actually *think* of our positions, or change our positions over time after life experience and careful reflection.

Their arguments may be more nuanced than what I've seen, but I haven't been impressed so far.

 
At 06 June, 2009 13:05, Blogger Clemens said...

I get it, but only as a source of humor. Otherwise I can't take such studies terribly seriously.

I have no particular disgust at anything sexual (there are a few exceptions that I won't bore you with), I am not very authoritarian (as both Maeraed and my students cold tell you), but I have an enormous respect for the past.

And when I say the past, I mean something a little older than the Civil War.

Haven't run into enough 'purity' to acquire much feeling towards it.

What does that make me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home