03 April 2006

Andrew Sullivan on Fundamentalism

Still buried under work, but I can cut and paste just fine. Here's a post from Andrew Sullivan this morning that I like:
Drudge's expose of a wacko environmentalistlooking forward to the end of humanity through massive plagues was telling to me. In the long run, right-wing fundamentalism and left-wing fundamentalism end up in the same place. A core aspect of most such ideologies is their expectation of a moment in the future where all that they currently despise will be done away with and all will be well. So you have the eschatology of the early Christians, which eventually morphed into the nineteenth century doctrine of pre-millennialism, which is the forefather of the astonishingly successful dispensationalist fiction series, "Left Behind." You have Ahmadinejad forseeing the return of the Twelfth Imam and doing what he can to accelerate it. You have John McCain's new best friends, Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, seeing the End-Times approach, when every homosexual, feminist and Jew will be roasted alive by Jesus. You have Marxists expecting the Communist revolution when all alienation will be dispelled. And you have the fundie enviro-left eagerly anticipating species annihilation. To my mind, it's a very good indicator of whether someone is worth listening to from a political stand-point. Those who expect the end of the world relatively soon should be kept as far away from public office as possible. They can keep their apocalypses to themselves."

5 Comments:

At 05 April, 2006 18:20, Blogger Elliot said...

Hmm... It's true that there are similarities, but it seems like a fairly unsophisticated understanding of how end-times thinking actually functions.

 
At 06 April, 2006 23:58, Blogger Clemens said...

You could be right. Sullivan is Catholic, and very informed and thoughtful about his faith. He might, however, view more Protestant viewpoints with a baleful eye.

For myself, down here in the lower 50, I have to tell you that I have known end-times thinking since the early 70's when friends urged me to read "The Late Great Planet Earth." At the time I thought it was equal parts fantasy, faith in good triumphing, and glee at the wicked being punished. Over the years, especially here in the South, I have meant too many who focus on that last part. (BTW, shouldn't Hal Lindsy be one of your authors of Christian Fantasy?)

Anyway, it would be a big help to me if you explained a bit of your own understanding of end-times thinking.

 
At 07 April, 2006 00:20, Blogger Elliot said...

Well, I was raised to believe the end of the world was just around the corner. And that 'glee over the destruction of others' is definitely part of it. I rejected that whole apocalyptic schema when I left the JWs.

What I think is missing from Sullivan's take on it is a sense in which all Christians, even Catholics, are supposed to be in readiness for the End, or Christ's return, or their own death. Valerie Martin says that St. Francis was great because he lived every moment in awareness of his own death. Martin Luther said that if he knew that the end of the world was to come tomorrow, he would plant a tree today.

So I guess what I'm saying is that 'end-times' thinking can be for wild-eyed fanatics, but it's also part of the 'now-and-yet-to-come' tension that ordinary Christians are supposed to live with. We can reinterpret what we mean by 'end,' but I don't think we can just toss it away as casually as Sullivan seems to suggest.

Hasn't he left the Catholic church to become an Episcopalian? He was threatening to do it when Ratzinger became Pope.

 
At 07 April, 2006 17:47, Blogger Clemens said...

Perhaps. I see the point. Though I was raised an Epicopalian (one of the few, I think), have more or less stuck with it, and my wife is a serious Catholic. What you say about Christians being prepared for the end time, or at least their own death, has absolutely zip resonance with either of us, I am afraid. Must have been one of the 4 or 5 hundred sermons in which I either zoned out thinking I was John Carter on Mars, talked trash to my brother, or spent the entire time doodling.

 
At 13 April, 2006 15:01, Blogger Elliot said...

I feel doodling can be perfectly respectable form of religious devotion. It's long been a special calling of mine. ;-)

John Carter of Mars = Right on! If you get a chance, pick up Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlement comic, volume 2, issue 1. He's got a great John Carter of Mars pastiche, with H.G. Wells, C.S. Lewis, and Gullivar of Mars thrown in for good measure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home