12 August 2006

High gas prices work their will

Things are beginning to change, though slowly, in the automobile world now that gas is almost $3 a gal. My brother's wife is looking for a used car. She is having difficulty because so many people have dumped their gas guzzling SUVs to buy sedans and smaller cars that the pickings are now slim.

The other sign was our little trip from my mother's yesterday. We were driving up the big 6 lane highway that bisects the port city from north to south with bumper to bumper traffic at 45 mph. I look into my rearview mirror and see a very attractive young woman on a motor scooter, sun tanned nut brown, helmetless with cool wrap around sunglasses. She toots along behind us for miles before faster cars get in behind us.

A few blocks later we see two young men on a pair of matching scooters, zipping along with the rest of the traffic. Now I've driven this highway for over 25 years and these were the first scooters I have ever seen on it. Habits are changing, a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home