17 September 2006

Why did it have to be Dan Simmons?

Yesterday Carmen and I went to see our Irish friends who live high up on the ridge overlooking the entire county of Lykes. Had a great time, especially playing and talking with Mearéad. As I was leaving the dad, who loves science fiction and fantasy, as does the mom, says casually to me, "Oh, have you read Ilium?" I nearly choked and said, weakly, "Uh, the one written by Dan Simmons?" Yup, that’s the one.

So now I have a huge novel by Simmons to read just before I try to deconstruct (read "trash") his little short story on the "Century War."


Actually, Ilium sounds like it might be a good read - oh, never mind.

2 Comments:

At 18 September, 2006 13:17, Blogger Elliot said...

Heh. I've had similar situations...
People saying "Oh, you've GOT to read this thought-provoking book - it's so well written... it's called The Da Vinci Code!!"

 
At 19 September, 2006 22:58, Blogger Joey said...

Elliot, did you follow the advice?

The Da Vinci code is not going to win you any esoteric points with academics, but it is a fun, interesting read.

It is probably more "thought provoking" than you think. A treasure hunt, conspiracy and murdermystery all while dashing throughout London and Paris.

--Joey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home