21 April 2007

An Historical Fiction List

People like lists. Here's one from the Wall Street Journal of "favorite fictional tales rooted in history." Since much of what I learned about history came from fictional work I thought it was interesting. I am not sure if the link will work without a subscription, so here is the list, without the author's, Ann Perry, comments.

1. I, Claudius by Robert Graves. [should include its sequel Claudius the God]

2. Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler.

3. The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy

4. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

5. The Ballad of the White Horse by G.K. Chesterton


Except for the first, I have not read any of these. I would really like to read the Chesterton one. My own list would include no. 1, and I would put in Julian by Gore Vidal, All Quiet on the Western Front by Remarque, War and Peace by Tolstoy, Pharsalia by Lucan (ancient history by an ancient writer, with shades of Stephen King. Lucan hated Caesar and Talbot Mundy would borrow his characterization in his Thros of Samothrace books).

If I went by to my teen years it would be a different list, with things like The Golden Hawks of Genghis Khan, The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff and maybe Mundy's Thros books.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 21 April, 2007 13:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarlet Pimpernell is a great book.

I've only read one Connie Willis nover, Doesday Book, but wasn't very impressed.

What about Eaters of the Dead? Silly, but popular. A friend once bought e a copy of A Very Virile Viking. It's exactly as it sounds.

 
At 21 April, 2007 13:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the Dante Club. Fabulous tale!

 
At 21 April, 2007 14:27, Blogger Clemens said...

Boy, that was fast turn around. Glad you are not too sick for blogging.

 
At 21 April, 2007 22:13, Blogger Clemens said...

Oh yeah. Carmen says "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Willis was great. She has a good eye for fiction.

 
At 21 April, 2007 23:10, Blogger Ian said...

I enjoyed The Eagle of the Ninth when I was a teenager. Some things never change I guess.

 
At 23 April, 2007 00:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth

--Joey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home