22 March 2008

The Tomb of Jesus and the Modern Media

Some days I want to believe in the Last Judgment more than on others. After reading this little article by Thomas Madden, one of the best of the new Crusade scholars, debunking attempts by the Discovery Channel, Time, and CNN to hype a non-story about the discovery of "Jesus' tomb" and, one assumes, Jesus' body, I am particularly keen to be there on that awe filled day to watch these clowns being judged.

I suppose this is not a point I need to make, but my thesis about the utter failure of American elites during the Bush era most certainly includes the makers of documentaries that hype crack-pot stories for mere lucre.

2 Comments:

At 24 March, 2008 15:03, Blogger Elliot said...

Argh-grr-arg! Why am I wasting my time on a history degree if the majority of people just believe whatever best-selling crap the corporate media cheerfully shovel in their direction? And there certainly isn't much sign that this situation is going to change anytime soon - short of The Last Judgment.

Grumblemumblegrumble...

Well, I guess I can just hope that this sort of thing is just making people more and more suspicious of the media that also helped talk them into a stupid war.

 
At 25 March, 2008 18:21, Blogger Clemens said...

I thought this might get a rise out of you. But the value of the history degree, other than that it is a thing worth doing for its own sake, is that you can now see through 'whatever best-selling crap' is coming down the pike.

And you'll be a better person for it. (though I am still annoyed that my university has just ditched all history requirements for undergrads).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home