09 June 2008

WHERE we spend the most on gas

The high cost of gas is hitting everyone and I am doing my best to conserve, but the real pain is not how much the gas costs at the pump, but how much of your daily income goes to pay for it. On that principle folks in the poorer parts of the rural south are hurting the worst. People in the big urban areas: not so much. Californians, who pay the highest prices in the country, seem to be doing fine. I assume this is because so many are turning to public transport and car pools.

To help visualize the problem, check out this map from the New York Times.

I love a good map. It can tell you so much. My first permanent job was drawing maps for an unnamed state to our south.

Update: I should have pointed out the obvious. The main reason the Californians are paying a smaller percentage of their income is because compared to the poorer folks in the south and west, they are making a LOT more money.


.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home