04 August 2008

More weird stuff

On the anthrax case that is. There is obviously other weird stuff out there. But Glenn Greenwald on Salon.com does some real reporting (as opposed to simply bloviating like I and most bloggers do) by discovering that the ONLY source of Ivins homicidal behavior and threats comes from his social worker (NOT a therapist and certainly not a psychiatrist) is somewhat problematical herself.

Here is the core of it:
So much of the public reporting about Ivins has been devoted to depicting him as a highly unstable psychotic who had been issuing extremely violent threats and who had a violent past. But that depiction has been based almost exclusively on the uncorroborated claims of Jean Carol Duley, a social worker (not a psychiatrist or psychologist) who, as recently as last year, was apparently still in college at Hood College in Frederick, Maryland. Duley's scrawled handwritten complaint against Ivins, seeking a Protective Order, has served as the basis for much of the reporting regarding Ivins' mental state, yet it is hardly the model of a competent or authoritative professional. Quite the opposite. Duley herself has a history that, at the very least, raises questions about her credibility. She has a rather lengthy involvement with the courts in Frederick, including two very recent convictions for driving under the influence -- one from 2007 and one from 2006 -- as well as a complaint filed against her for battery by her ex-husband.

If you go back and reread all the news stories, they ALL base their depiction of Ivins supposed pathology on a hand scribbled note by Duley. It is a thin thread indeed. I was a bit suspicious myself, having seen enough historical research reporting received wisdom that is based on one highly unconvincing source (in fact, I can show you several places in my book where I do exactly that!)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 04 August, 2008 14:02, Blogger jack perry said...

I had noticed that all the complaints regarding Ivins came from Duley, but I held my tongue because I've seen too much facile blaming of social workers (remember how much right-wing kool-aid I taste) and I had absolutely zero evidence to think she had problems herself.

So actually I don't think this is "more weird stuff" but quite possibly the first instance of "normal stuff" to come out over the last week. I also think it's very, very sad, seeing as how many of the stories surrounding it highlight statements from Ivins' coworkers that the FBI just kept "pushing his buttons."

This could yet take a very, very bad turn.

 
At 05 August, 2008 12:34, Blogger Clemens said...

Yes - I was struck by the same thing. I am not sure though what "social worker" means in this context. Today's Washington Post still refers to Duley as a "therapist" which I am not sure is correct. I have just put another post from the WSJ (some of the Kool-Aid?) that makes the case against trusting the accusations, while the article in the WaPo tries once again to tighten the noose around Ivins.

At this stage we don't know where this is going but I am afraid your last sentence may be too true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home