18 July 2009

Books: romance genre

I think it was books like "Wuthering Heights" that may be the great grandmother of today's 'bodice rippers.' Someone has to take the rap. Back when I was a grad student in the frozen north country a bunch of us history students would gather at the Oscar B. Lykes Bar and Grill every Friday to discuss history, and professors, etc., over large amounts of beer. When we were really toasted we would fantasize about writing Romance novels with historical settings. It was great fun - we actually came up with some good plots (if I could only remember what they were) - but I always had the sneaking suspicion that it took more skill and made less money then we thought. I was right on both counts.

Which may explain why I was so amused by this article in the Washington Post today about the Washington Romance Writers of America's annual conference. It's a hoot. I especially like the part about workshops for creating the perfect Alpha male love interest.
More than 100 sessions address everything from "High-Octane" kisses to sketching believable alpha heroes (sub-categories include: Warrior Alpha, Chief Alpha, Extreme Alpha, Bad Boy Alpha, Wounded Alpha, Swashbuckling Alpha, Geek Alpha and Gentle Alpha) to sketching out "imperfect" heroines...

Geek Alpha! Jack, I think I have found our niche. Anyway, at the Clemens household Leo the Dog thinks I am the Alpha dog. I like to think of myself as Warrior Alpha, or maybe Swashbuckling Alpha, but Carmen thinks of me as Bad Boy Alpha. Leo seems to think of me as 'Master-of--treats-I-really-shouldn't-have Alpha'.

now, about those "High-Octane" kisses

.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home