15 June 2010

Tea Bags: History as remembered




Jack was commenting on the origin of using the term "tea baggers" or "tea bagging" in reference to the various protests that coalesced under the name "Tea Party."

This is the way I remember it, so this must be the truth (for purposes of this blog anyway):

When groups began referring to themselves as the Tea Party, they also started using the tea bag as their symbol and referring to some of their activities as to 'tea bag' something or someone, as seen here in an early protest in Feb of 2009. I distinctly remember at least a few protesters referring to themselves as tea baggers who were going to tea bag the tax and spend budget buster. I knew this from articles I read on TPM at the time, before either Josh Marshall, or poor naive Clemens learned what the term REALLY means in our modern culture.

Once we were all educated to the use of the term for a sexual practice (Josh even had a clip from "Sex and the City" where the girls discuss doing this) that the liberal media hit upon it as a snide way to put down the movement.

So neither the movement nor the liberal media invented the term's sexual connotation. That apparently was already part of a part of our culture.

Since I would never want to impart a snide flavor to Sententiae I hereby declare a moratorium on the term .... at least until the next time I need to use it.

UPDATE: Just discovered this little article from NRO by Jay Nordlinger giving a brief history of the term. I love new terms.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 15 June, 2010 22:23, Blogger jack perry said...

I distinctly remember at least a few protesters referring to themselves as tea baggers who were going to tea bag the tax and spend budget buster.

Well, that's quite disgusting. For some reason, I'm not all that surprised.

I first learnt of the term myself late in grad school, when a colleague recounted some of the terms his roommates tossed around. If I never see the term again, it will be too soon. Sadly, I will probably see it sooner than never.

 
At 15 June, 2010 23:10, Blogger Clemens said...

Gee. Jack. I had no idea what it meant. I am so embarrassed that I am more naive in these matters than you!

But I don't think the original protesters had any idea of the double entendre.

But I could be wrong.

 
At 16 June, 2010 23:34, Blogger jack perry said...

I think the guy with the poster had a pretty good idea what it meant. There are some pretty vulgar people in any group of political activists.

 
At 22 June, 2010 14:22, Anonymous Joey Sobrino said...

Maybe this is a generational thing but "teabagging" is a term I would wager 2 out of 3 people my age know.

This probably should go in the other posting but I think what the Tea Party represents is a line in the sand. No more private company bailouts and takeovers, fix things at home before sending aid overseas (much of which isn't effectively delivered), and no more advances on our liberty.

Naturally, liberals who fault Obama with not being "progressive" enough, view Tea Partiers as a bunch of out of touch angry white men who are just PO'ed that there is a black president. I think they feel like that because they can't possibly imagine how anyone could be mad at Obama. He is our redeemer! He makes the world like us! He is young and hip!

Could it be that a sweeping economic stimulus hasn't been used effectively? Or that he appears to respond to every meme being floating by pundits? Or that he is trying to revive cap and trade since we have an oil spill in the gulf? Naaahhhh....must be racism.

--Joey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home