29 October 2011

Those wonderful folks who helped break our economy

This time let's focus on one of the "foreclosure mills" that selflessly works to kick people out of their homes, the Steven J. Baum law firm.

Yes. I know. Attacking lawyers is too easy and I should be ashamed of myself.

And I would be if I hadn't read this little column by Joe Nocera about the firm's Halloween costume party. The one where they made fun of the folks they were foreclosing on.

I don't know who Steven J. Baum is, but I'm sure he is very proud to have his name attached to it. Or he would be, if a spokesman for the firm hadn't denied that it ever happened.


Now about those pictures....

UPDATE: After I posted this TPM ran a story, or rather reposted Nocera's story. You should look at it for the reader's comments. Here's a few for your entertainment.

I'm not shocked easily anymore but this took my breath away. The most uncivilized behavior I've seen by supposedly educated and successful people. I pity them for having to live with that kind of darkness in their hearts.

***
I am (nearly) speechless. In my time as a labor organizer, I have seen too many detestable companies, some familiar household brands, do too many despicable things, up to and including murder. This is the first time I have heard of such crass and amoral celebration of misery. Not only are the decision makers/profit takers making light of our national shame, but the workers/wage earners, who you can bet are one or two paychecks from being in the same predicament are reveling in it as well.
****

I just sold my house at a loss. I lost all my assets. The bank, my realtor and my lawyer all made a nice little packet off me, though. Maybe they'll throw a party with the proceeds.

Somehow, I doubt I'll be invited.

Some people have no sense of humor.

.


Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 13 November, 2011 22:54, Blogger johnmschwarzlaw said...

Too funny! There's nothing like making fun of families facing eviction at holiday time. Next year they should change the theme to the little cancer kids at St Judes Hospital, that would be really funny. Their mom's did a wonderful job bringing them up. Even though we will never make the money that the banks foreclosure attorneys make, we still feel like we are helping people.

www.johnmschwarzlaw.com

 
At 14 November, 2011 22:10, Blogger Clemens said...

Good response. Welcome to Sententiae (and I thought Maire an Rua was the last reader out there).

 
At 14 November, 2011 22:14, Blogger Clemens said...

Ha! You should check out John M Schwarz! I can see why he feels the way he does.

And I thought it was a true appreciation of the wit and biting social commentary to be found here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home