08 April 2006

Science Fiction, Fantasy and Faith - my small contribution

Over on Claw of the Conciliator Elliot has written a multiple part essay on high quality works of fantasy and science fiction informed by the religious faith of their authors. It's worth reading.

I have responded to several of his observations. He doesn't believe that Dune by Frank Herbert should be there because while Herbert saw the importance of religion he seems to throw it in almost as a satirical aside. Perhaps. I can see the point, but when I first read it I thought it had a, well, perhaps 'spiritual' sheen to it - perhaps that was simply Herbert funning with us. One of the comments sent by Bernhardt for the Claw was that Herbert 'doesn't seem to have a clue what it's actually like to be a believer' but then goes on to say the novel isn't a bad way to get a sense of what a mahdi like jihad was like. I think that is almost a contradiction. Jihad's, Butlerian or otherwise, are the work of believers. I think the first point though is more valid if you mean a monotheistic believer in Abraham's god. But surely there are other types of religious faith that might be worth teasing out. I admit though that the Dune series might not be the work to start with (note to Elliot: if you got through three of the series, stop: Herbert was suffering a degenerative version of your SAS disease).

Elliot also asks "Am I the only one who pictures a mob of irate butlers smashing the robots who put them out of a job?" Very likely. I myself always pictured a futuristic Cromwell in a type of English Civil War that ran amok (which is a bit like saying a riot that turned riotous). The Orange Bible that Herbert kept quoting from always interested me but now that I recall it was probably a lame pastiche of King James-like prose.

Many of the books Elliot mentions are like taking a walk through my second and third decades. I read a great many of them then. Somewhere in my 11 years of grad school I stopped reading much fantasy or science fiction. But more on that later.

One of the authors he mentions whom I liked was Marion Zimmer Bradley, at least her Darkover novels which I devoured as an adolescent boy. And that was about the kind of reader they were first written for. I always felt they viewed Christianity with a very jaundiced eye. As her feminist viewpoint developed this became more obvious. Oddly enough this did not dim my appreciation of her Darkover series. Later I tried to read her Arthurian novels - The Mist of Avalon started them off. It is an historical period I know pretty well, but I simply could not get through her neo-pagan Goddess claptrap. It's a professional prejudice I suppose. On the other hand, my wife just finished Mists and thought it revealed Bradley as a gifted storyteller - but that she needed a good editor to cut it down by a quarter (creeping SAS?).

G. K. Chesterton's Father Brown stories are also quite good but I am not sure they fit the genres we are discussing. Aside from the fact that Father Brown is a Catholic priest, the stories were often imbued with Chesterton's sense of Christian ethics. Two examples particularly appealed to me. In one story Father Brown explains that he can solve the most difficult crimes by finding the same traits inside himself that in the criminal led him to commit the crime - even murder. All of us have motives that are potentially evil, and Brown can find his, understand them, and then figure out how similar feelings would have led the criminal to do whatever he did. The second one was when he solved a mystery because he simply paid attention to the people who served him, the waiters and valets, treated them like people instead of instruments, and actually talked with them. Remember that the next time you pass a janitor or dismiss a waiter.

That's all for right now. I'll write at least one more post on this. In the meantime, if the topic interests you, go see what Claw of the Conciliator has to say about it.

5 Comments:

At 09 April, 2006 20:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Stephen Donaldson? His work is very subtly religious -- he deals with anti-heroes and redemption as his theme, over and over. Another, much lighter writer is Christipher Stasheff. There is a LOT going on in his seemingly fluff Wizard novels -- history lessons, educational theory and some very entertaining futuristic Catholicism (incluidng the techie Cathodian order).

And whatever happened to Tolkien??

 
At 09 April, 2006 23:52, Blogger Clemens said...

Stephen Donaldson - can't remember him. I'll check. Ditto for Stasheff. Tolkien has been mentioned by The Claw, and I will get to him next time. He is not overtly religious in that his work is not allegorical, though he deals with the nature of Evil and the Triumph of Good.

But, the Cathodian Order? As in the Cathodian Ray tubes?

 
At 10 April, 2006 09:43, Blogger Elliot said...

I quite agree that other types of religious faith are worth teasing out! I'm just not sure I'm qualified to do it. I mean, I really like the Rastafarians in Neuromancer but neither Gibson or I are Rastas so I'd want to tread lightly there. Same goes for non-Muslims writing about a Muslim Jihad - I don't want to slip into Orientalism and have Edward Said's ghost come after me! ;-)

What do you think of "The Well" in Fletcher Pratt's Well of the Unicorn? It seems to be like some sort of Catholic sacrament - perhaps baptism (plus, the new, vigorous northern nations are loathe to submit to it and the peace it imposes) or the Eucharist, or something... Once again, I'm just working off memory and my copy's packed away.

Donaldson was the son of missionaries and I can't tell if his story is meant to be faith-affirming or not. I think not, and I get the sense that Thomas Covenant wants to do things in a "secular" way without relying on miracles or faith. And I think he may be more concerned with the power of hope and fantasy more than religious faith explicitly. It is a thought-provoking series, though, if you can get past Thomas' constant whining.

I remember reading a Stasheff story about the Patron Saint of Electronics, Ray Cathode (or something nearly as cheesy as that!) :-)

Your comment on the Butlerian Jihad - I can see that! The stripping of the altars plus the Iconoclasts, plus the Taliban, with some Luddites thrown in.

I find myself reading less sf and fantasy and more nonfiction these days but thinking through the topic for my small group, and reading up on it have given me many enjoyable and thought-provoking hours...

I feel much the same about Bradley, which is why I find it interesting that she went back to Episcopalianism.

And a good point about Father Brown. He's a mensch!

 
At 10 April, 2006 11:35, Blogger Clemens said...

Food for thought, and more posts, here Elliot. In fact I want to mention how odd it is that one of the least -numerically speaking - of the Christian sects can produce so many of these writers we are talking about. My wife, the Papist, has some interesting ideas about it.

It's been so long that I read 'Well of the Unicorn'that I can't speak to it. I remember being struck by the historical resonances in it rather than the religious, though they are certainly there.

I've still got to get back to the De Winter woman! Next post.

 
At 10 April, 2006 18:57, Blogger Elliot said...

Well, Episcopalianism/Anglicanism quite large in global terms at least, even if it is small in the States.

I'm fairly sure it's because Anglicanism generally tries to promote openness to intellectual adventurousness and artistic pursuits. You can be a weird, eccentric Anglican sf writer and still be in good standing. In fact you might even generate a large following!

It sounds arrogant, but some friends of mine who started out as conservative evangelicals were discussing this kind of thing yesterday - one said: "Springs [a local evangelical megachurch] is like Christian kindergarten, but St. Margaret's [our shared Anglican church] is like graduate school."

You'd have a lot more trouble being a weird, eccentric Baptist sf writer. And there's a reason there are no published Jehovah's Witness science fiction writers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home