06 October 2006

Who Said This?

I thought abut calling this thread "The Lying MSM" but thought better of it. Sometimes adults say the darndest things. See if you can guess who said this about Bob Woodward's State of Denial. The writer has disliked most of Woodward's writings before now, and is a staunch supporter of Repbulican, no, make that Conservative, values.

I bought "State of Denial" thinking I might have a merry time bashing it and a satisfying time defending the innocent injured.

But it is a good book. It may be a great one. It is serious, densely, even exhaustively, reported, and a real contribution to history in that it gives history what it most requires, first-person testimony. (It is well documented, with copious notes.) What is most striking is that Mr. Woodward seems to try very hard to be fair, not in a phony "Armitage, however, denies it" way, but in a way that--it will seem too much to say this--reminded me of Jean Renoir: "The real hell of life is that everyone has his reasons."


Answer: Peggy Noonan, conservative wordsmith for the Wall Street Journal. If the link works, the whole column is worth a read.

2 Comments:

At 07 October, 2006 07:21, Blogger Elliot said...

I think Peggy Noonan's a rather charming lady. When she's not talking about Reagan or Thatcher.

 
At 07 October, 2006 15:29, Blogger Clemens said...

Yes, I agree, though I think she has a point about Reagan and Thatcher, if only as an eye-witness. She is also an excellent wordsmith. She was not "The Great Communicator's" chief speech writer for nothing. I am not usually impressed by her intellect, however, except when she agrees with my prejudices. As here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home