12 April 2007

Middle East, Oil and Common Sense

Finally. Some common sense over on NRO regarding the connection between the gasoline you use, the price of crude, and the coffers of our enemies. Not surprisingly it comes from Victor Davis Hanson.

If the United States could curb its voracious purchases of foreign oil by using conservation, additional petroleum production, nuclear power, alternate fuels, coal gasification and new technologies, the world price might return to below $40 a barrel.

That decline would dry up the oil profits of those in the Middle East who now so desperately use them to ensure that their own problems must also be the world’s.


I say that it is mere common sense because for the last five years at least I have been making the same point. Usually to the complete derision of my more conservative friends for being so PC and green. No - this is Econ 101 for protecting ourselves in the 21st century.

So - just exactly what I have been doing to support my theory? I've shortened my daily commute by about a mile, have forced myself with gritted teeth to drive no faster than the speed limit, have a car that gets up to 30 mpg, and take the bus to work whenever I can.

Not much, but if enough of us did it, enough.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home