07 August 2008

Anthrax: the big question

Now that Ivins, accused of the anthrax killings, is dead, it seems likely (though not yet proven) that the killer died with him. The FBI seems bound and determined that the case die with him as well. We'll see about that.

But whether or not he is the murderer, this continues to be a question, one that bothers me no end: How could a man with so many mental health alarm bells going off all around him still maintain his security clearance? Is there anyone else out there with the same magnitude of mental distress working in biological warfare labs? Atomic energy labs? Like, atomic warheads?

I know. Now I am being paranoid. The FBI and the DHS are keeping careful tabs on all this. What could go wrong?

There. I feel better already. Don't you?


.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 08 August, 2008 00:22, Blogger jack perry said...

Well, don't worry. The government is quite vigilant. Why, someone who happens to be married to a Russian national is more or less automatically disqualified from a security clearance. I have it on authority of the NSA itself.

I must say though that I was impressed that they traced not merely the strain but the very genome to him personally. If I understood the WaPo article, this science was developed while the investigation was ongoing.

I hope I didn't misunderstand it because that fact impressed the heck out of me. Yet today I read nothing about it; it's like the one argument that had a hard link suddenly disappeared. (Still not beyond a reasonable doubt of course.)

 
At 11 August, 2008 15:08, Blogger Clemens said...

I've read about it too, but I don't understand it enough to know how solid it is. Biggest problem right now seems to be that the FBI has no evidence placing Ivins near the spot where the letters were mailed when they were mailed.

So it is still unclear. I am prepared to believe that Ivins was probably the killer, but that still leaves a lot of questions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home