16 November 2008

Uhhh...

I suppose I should explain my lack of posting right through the election (and for the record, I was quite happy with the results). It was, simply put, a perfect storm of work that hit me. Suddenly in a very short period of time I found that I had to:

1) create my promotion and tenure file for promotion to full prof. Something I have been unwilling to do for the last 7 or 8 years.

2) bring myself up to speed on a complex series of regulations, deadlines and duties as newly appointed chair of the Honors Program for the History Dept. I think the Dept chair appointed me to this to teach me to actually complete and turn in my request for committee assignments. And since this one means that students may suffer if I don't work hard at it ... well, you can see my dilemma.

3) Write a 50 question multiple choice exam, which I hate using (though it's a snap to grade).

4) Prepare various documents and minutes for the Big Conference in Georgetown where I am executive secretary

5) Read through countless application files for various job offerings here at the University since I am also on the Dept Personnel Committee (which is much worse than you may imagine).

6) Pack and get ready for the Conference in Georgetown - including doing some arcane research into the origins of the Society.

7) Remember to actually put the luggage IN the car before Carmen and I left for Georgetown (long and embarrassing story )

8) Walk the dog

You know, much more of this and this will start feeling like a real job.

You might call it Mora's revenge.

.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home