21 November 2009

The Power of Prayer

A wavering Christian (actually, I waver occasionally on most of my convictions) I am always depressed when I see certain types of Christian behavior. Not many weeks ago a good Christian stood in my living room and told how much he approved of "enhanced interrogation."

This is another example: apparently some conservative Christians are sporting bumper stickers that say Psalm 109, verse 8, which goes like this, according to Rabbi Herschfeld on BeliefNet:
For those of you who may not know that particular verse, it reads "May his days be few, may another take over his position." And before anyone excuses this toxic use of scripture as nothing more than the wish that President Obama not be re-elected to a second term of office, the next verse in the psalm reads, "May his children be orphans and his wife a widow".

In fact the whole chapter is about awful things happening to an evil person.


Couldn't we just stick to claiming he was born in Kenya?


Yes, I know. Probably very few people are doing this and it is being blown out of proportion by blogs. Like this one, maybe.

.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 01 December, 2009 22:12, Blogger Elliot said...

Oy vey.

 
At 11 December, 2009 10:16, Blogger Clemens said...

Glad you're still with us Elliot. How goes the education plan?

The world could always use another historian.

(not so sure about mathmeticians. It's a dark art, you know.

 
At 11 December, 2009 21:44, Blogger Elliot said...

Hey Clemens! Pretty good. I'm almost done applying at grad schools - all Canadian since Canadian history's what I'm hoping to focus on. Thanks again for your take on the process and the profession - it harmonized with what other profs said. I'm taking it on a "well, let's see how much money they'll offer me" and "let's see how the Master's goes" basis because I still have reservations about the traditional career arc - but I'll send you an e-mail about that when I get more time... I should head back to work on my "Whence Victorian sewers?" essay... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home