04 April 2010

The neferious Amazon One Star Brigade

Once or twice I may have voiced a sour opinion here and there about the embarrassments that post most of the one star reviews on Amazon dot com. Yet reading them is oddly compelling if you can tolerate the depression that sets in afterward. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

But no, there is another poor soul out there who has said in print exactly what I am thinking (and believe me, I have pulled my punches writing about it). Anyway, Jeanette Demain, on Salon.com reaches what she hopes is the nadir when she finds someone who hated The Diary of Ann Frank. She assumes that this book above all others should be immune from the One Star Brigade's attacks.

But, oh, how wrong I was.

I didn't like this book because it was boring. That's all that needs to be said. It was very very very very very very very very very very very boring. If you have to read this book shoot yourself first.

Can you imagine being this person? It seems like a life completely devoid of any subtlety, introspection, caring or empathy. Or am I reading too much into these few sentences? I hope I am. Maybe this "reviewer" was just having a bad day. But, just the same, I hope I never actually meet him or her. It might get very uncomfortable.

Boy. I wish I had written this article.

on the other hand, if you think you might agree with this particular One Star recruit, you should immediatley follow their final advice.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 04 April, 2010 23:03, Anonymous Maire said...

Sadly, this person was probably assigned the book in a class. And it doesn't have pictures. But whatever the reason, if Anne Frank is "boring" then I doubt there's much hope for the reviewer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home