24 September 2006

The Century War II. General Assumptions

What are some of the basic assumptions of this story about the Century War between Islam and the West?

- Major underlaying assumption is that time travel is possible and someone would do it just to talk to an American writer, claiming he has no interest in what the writer actually does after the meeting. Okay, let’s just accept this as a necessary, though lame, plot device to get us into the story.

- An assumption I agree with! "America’s vacation from history ends very soon now." Couldn’t have put it better - in fact, it is almost exactly what I added to all my syllabi since 9-11. It’s true. I simply think Simmons has misconstrued his lessons from history.

- "Twenty-five years from now, every man or woman in America who wishes to vote will be required to read Thucydides on this matter. And others as well. And there are tests. If you don’t know some history, you don’t vote . . . much less run for office." A pleasing thought for someone as devoted to history as I am. Alas, it is pure fantasy. I can’t think of a single society in all of recorded history that required an understanding of history from its citizens when under attack, or at any other time. Bravery, determination, an ability to follow orders and a refusal to be defeated seem to be what they usually look for. Although I am absolutely charmed that someone thinks they would start looking for people trained in history - and ancient Greek history at that.

If you know of any examples, please let me know. This is one of the many unconvincing assumptions here. On this score, I feel I am something of an expert, especially since my school seems to be ready to ditch its history requirement.

- The Century War against Islam starts 5 June 1968. Why pick this date? It's the day Sirhan Sirhan assassinated Robert F Kennedy. Putting aside the detail that Sirhan was a lone gunman, and even that he was raised a Maronite Christian, and at various times flirted with Islam, the Baptists, and even Rosicrucianism, his reasons for the assassination had to do with frustrated Palestinian nationalism rather than any religious faith. He simply doesn't fit into Islamism, Jihadism, or bin Ladinism.

Now 21 November 1979 seems to me to make a much better date.

- Biggest general assumption of all? That a 21rst Century war, involving nuclear weapons would last for a century. You can make up your own mind on this one. There seem to be a number of geo-political assumptions here, but we will deal with them next post.

2 Comments:

At 25 September, 2006 07:42, Blogger kipwatson said...

Well put, Clemens, I got a particular wry chuckle over your last point.

The only bit I disagree with (in the post before this one actually), was the reference to neo-con propaganda. This neo-con wannabe sees the Bush strategy as an act of faith in the Muslim world, in both the worldly and Christian sense. That if given the chance, set free from their tyrant overlords, the Muslim people will want to live justly and peacefully.

There are too many people, ostensibly on the Right (although really in a warped opinion zone all their own), who just want to see dead Arabs and plenty of them. But I don't think they share anything in common with George W Bush.

 
At 26 September, 2006 12:16, Blogger Clemens said...

Yes - such is the way the Bush admin has framed it. But I don't believe it is true, and the way it is being implemented is, as I've said elsewhere, seriously flawed.

My last point, now that I think on it, may be the biggest and most obvious flaw in Simmons argument, though there are other contenders.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home