29 January 2007

Catholics and C. S. Lewis

While at the monastery guest house I would spend time in the library. I especially liked aimlessly reading The Catholic Encyclopedia -- a bit like web surfing. Here is an entry from my journal about it.
I think there are now Anglican orders, though I do not see how they could be thriving [I had been writing about how difficult it is for the Cistercians to recruit new members]. It is something I don't know much about. Sounds like one more trip to the library to peruse The Catholic Encyclopedia. It is very useful, but it is interesting how everything reflects the Catholic mind set. Most especially the article on C. S. Lewis. It doesn't even admit that he was an Anglican, only that while never becoming a Catholic, he was "close to the Catholic position." You are left to wonder exactly what he converted TO when he had his great conversion. It is a bit funny and a bit ludicrous. Or maybe just annoying.
[To add to this: I listened to about four hours of a Catholic bishop's taped lectures on the Narnia chronicles explaining carefully and in great detail how each little element illustrated an important Catholic tenet. I didn't finish them all, so I never reached the part where the good bishop explained exactly what faith Lewis adhered to.]

3 Comments:

At 30 January, 2007 10:04, Blogger Elliot said...

I think a problem with being Catholic, as with being American, is that when one belongs to a body that's so huge and powerful everything appears to revolve around you.

 
At 30 January, 2007 21:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a note on it being kind of like surfing the web...

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/index.html

 
At 01 February, 2007 20:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that explains a lot. I was wondering why things weren't revolving around me. I think our fearless leaders may have the same problem.

Clemens

 

Post a Comment

<< Home