10 March 2007

More on "300"

Tomorrow I am off to see "300" with the gang from the history department, plus Clovis. I'll post about it once I've seen it.

In the meantime, of all the reviews that have panned it (The Washington Post called it a "guilty unpleasantness), this one here amused me the most. Here's a taste of it:

Hot Gates, indeed! Devotees of the pectoral, deltoid and other fine muscle groups will find much to savor as King Leonidas leads 300 prime Spartan porterhouses into battle against Persian forces commanded by Xerxes, a decadent self-proclaimed deity who wants, as all good movie villains do, to rule the world. The Persians, pioneers in the art of facial piercing, have vastly greater numbers — including ninjas, dervishes, elephants, a charging rhino and an angry bald giant — but the Spartans clearly have superior health clubs and electrolysis facilities.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11 March, 2007 07:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the reviews haven't panned it. It is a 61% Fresh movie on Rotten Tomatoes.

I saw it yesterday and really liked it. Reviewers can't resist commentary on the political undertones (both pro/anti Iraq war) which is kind of funny since the graphic novel was released in 1999.

It is very unapologetic in glorifying the Spartans and demonizing the Persians (perhaps another reason why more PC reviewers are concerned) and it simplifies characters and motivations to classical comic book good and evil. This isn't Munich this is Sin City set 2500 years ago.

--Joey

 
At 11 March, 2007 19:08, Blogger Elliot said...

LOL to the electrolysis facilities!

 
At 12 March, 2007 00:05, Blogger Clemens said...

Andrew Sullivan has a gay reading of the movie up on his site that I will link to when I write my reaction. I got sick and have been sleeping off and on all day, so don't know if I am up to doing it right this evening (it is midnight).

In the meantime, by all means follow my link to Victor Davis Hansons' review and why he predicted that some critics would not like it.

Elliot: I liked the crack about the 300 Spartan porterhouses! If (when?) you see the movie you'll think the review is even funnier.

 
At 12 March, 2007 00:06, Blogger Clemens said...

Joey - and thanks for the Rotten Tomatoes reference. See you on Carmen's birthday, aka St Patrick's Day.

What's your favorite green beer?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home