10 March 2007

Newt, once again.

My last post on Newt Gingrich may have sounded like I was accusing him of hypocrisy. Oh no. Newt sets us all straight in this snippet from a Washington Post article entitled "Newt's Zipper." (It seems Newt was having an extramarital affair at the exact same time he was leading the charge against Bill "The never to be sufficiently damned" Clinton for perjury - among other things).

"Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity. 'The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony in front of a sitting federal judge,' the former Georgia congressman said of Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice charges. 'I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the risk of being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move forward and say that you cannot accept . . . perjury in your highest
officials.' "


In case you have forgotten or don't follow American politics (hey, it's more fun than a telenovela), Newt, after enjoying the charms of his mistress, told his wife who was in the hospital recovering from cancer that he wanted a divorce. Mistress then became wife.

I hope Dinesh D'Souza is following all this.


(note the last line of Newt's quote - I shall return to it in the next post)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11 March, 2007 19:07, Blogger Elliot said...

You know, if you put Newt into a novel, people would fault you for not being realistic enough. They'd say "These caricatures of politicians are too extreme!"

 
At 12 March, 2007 00:01, Blogger Clemens said...

Maybe that is why I have lingering affection for the old reprobate. He does, as the Marxists say, clarify the contradictions.

And he is far from the worst. Compared to the others down here (I just read your post about Canadians and schadenfreude) he is Solon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home