20 January 2008

Romney and the election

Like everyone apparently, I am having trouble digesting the results of the South Carolina primary. In other words, I don't have the slightest idea what it all means. Unlike most of the professional baltherers, I admit it.

But I am most interested in this little comment on National Review by Jonathan Adler on Romney's chances. He likens them to a snowball in hell, btw. But this quote is pertinent to how I feel about Romney:

The blatant pandering to the auto industry in Michigan in a way that suggests some very unconservative views. Romney's MBA style does not help much here, as it reinforces the perception of Romney as someone who solves problems without much regard to underlying ideological principle.


The first sentence is why I won't vote for the man; the second is why I might. Is that confusing enough? After the last eight years I would be happy with a problem solving technocrat who believes in nothing. Once he got through the primary season he would tack back towards the center to win over the national electorate and stay there in order to win a second term. In other words, an old fashioned moderate Republican.

With the Repbulicans we could do worse. While I admire McCain greatly his volatility and age trouble me, though the fact that Rush Limbaugh hates him I find absolutely charming.

We'll see.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home