15 January 2008

How to fake a really, really big battle

Did you see the opening scene of the attack on Omaha Beach on D-Day in "Saving Private Ryan"? I didn't, but heard that it is gritty and spectacular. So how many extras did they have to get, how many landing craft, tanks, etc?

As it turns out, four guys with uniforms and rifles pretty much did it. Check this out, from a link provided by Andrew Sullivan. I especially like the way they did the explosions.


Update: My mistake. Three guys and some uniforms.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 15 January, 2008 15:58, Blogger Elliot said...

Whoa! How disillusioning!

 
At 15 January, 2008 23:41, Blogger Clemens said...

Yes. The results can stand for themselves, but it is a little weird. On the other hand, it gives me great hopes for making some good movies about the middle ages.

Oh. Wait. 'Kingdom of Heaven' already did that.

Well, I can wait until Vin Diesel get his 'Hannibal the Conqueror' movie underway. I have a new theory about the battle of Cannae anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home