16 November 2008

Why I voted Republican

Ha! Thought that would get your attention. But I did vote Republican in two local races. One was a fellow Episcopalian I see at church and at the Y. The other one ... well, there's an interesting story there.

Awhile back Jack and I were writing about the housing implosion. Jack made this comment that I agreed with :
I'd like to see the blame spread a little more, and more thickly. Real estate developers for a long time built giant houses and cooperated with the banks in selling them to people who couldn't afford them.

This certainly struck a chord. Around here, a county where the economy has been a serious problem for years, and where most people are lower middle class or working class, the only new houses Carmen and I have seen being built have been huge things that must cost $250k minimum. Except one.

When we were looking for a house I went to an open house for a small, modest, but well designed, well built and attractive home going for $115K. And the builder was there to explain his work. He told me that like autos it was nearly as much expense, time and trouble to build a small home as a modest one but that you make more money on the big expensive home. He felt, however, that every now and then for the health of the community he should build a smaller, cheaper house and that was what this house represented.

I believed him. And the last two times he has run for local office both Carmen and I have voted for him.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 16 November, 2008 21:33, Blogger Joey said...

Maybe this is a stupid question but why not build a bigger house and price it the same if they are close in cost?

--Joey

 
At 17 November, 2008 12:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the answer is 1. acreage; 2. building materials (nicer materials cost more, but same time and effort to the building as cheaper ones); 3. profit margin. In short, a builder can build an expensive house on a huge lot and charge loads for it, or a less expensive house on a small lot and make less profit for close to the same time and effort.

 
At 18 November, 2008 05:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So did your two Republicans win?

 
At 19 November, 2008 09:43, Blogger Clemens said...

Don't know. Haven't checked.

 
At 09 December, 2008 10:19, Blogger Clemens said...

8 Dec: finally checked. They both won. Probably because I voted for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home